[Elections-committee] Summit Town Hall

Radcliffe, Mark Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com
Tue Nov 5 03:39:12 UTC 2013

Let me propose this approach so they have more context:

The OpenStack Board of Directors wish is responding to the concerns expressed about the current method of electing the  Board members representing individuals Foundation members.  Individual members elect eight of the twenty four Board members.  Currently we use a system of "cumulative voting" in which any individual Foundation member can cast all of his potential votes for a single individual (or he can split them up any way he wants).  Some members of the community have proposed moving to an "order of preference" voting system, either using single transferable vote or Condorcet methods.  The goal of this change is to better address the needs of our rapidly growing community of members.  The Board appointed a committee, the Election Committee, to review the issue and its options. The Election Committee has met a number of times and has reported to the Board in open session. The options presented to the Board are: (1) retain the current system or (2) change the current system for either single transferable vote or Condorcet. This meeting will be educational to provide information to the community on the these issues and the potential complexity of implementation.  The Technical Committee will continue to control the technical direction of the OpenStack Project and this change will not change the role of the Technical Committee and how it is elected.   We invite you to join us for an informal Town Hall meeting on Thursday November 7th at 12:50 while you enjoy your lunch