[OpenStack-DefCore] Some Governance Patches To Be Aware Of

Van Lindberg van.lindberg at rackspace.com
Fri May 6 21:14:29 UTC 2016

This is a good point. At the defcore midcycle, a number of people expressed concerns about tying ask of defcore to tempest. For example, a number of people talked about wanting to use rally. Speaking for myself, I have a scenario-focused suite that I have been interested in submitting at some point for consideration in defcore.... but trying to force-fit it into tempest would be suboptimal.

On 6 May 2016, at 10:03, Mark Voelker wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> For those of you who didn’t catch it elsewhere, here are a couple of DefCore-related things that the TC is currently considering that you may want to be aware of:
>
> "add resolution explaining which tests we think defcore should use"
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/312718/

Should this resolution pass, what incentive remains to write a Tempest plugin?

Currently the object storage project is working on a Tempest plugin so that our in-tree functional tests may be used as part of the DefCore validation suite. That work seems like needless code churn now. If in-tree tests are specifically discouraged for being used in DefCore compliance checks, this removes the incentive to use Tempest's plugin capabilities. Does this resolution thus imply that the Tempest plugin capability will be going away at some point?

--John