[OpenStack-DefCore] Huawei Juno based distro passes 2015.05; same code fails 2015.07. Incompatible API test change from 2015.05 to 2015.05/07

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Thu Jan 7 16:14:14 UTC 2016

> On Jan 6, 2016, at 8:55 PM, Rochelle Grober <rochelle.grober at huawei.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, folks.

Thanks for writing in, Rocky.  Actually what I said was that this potential issue had been discussed before, but that in 6.5 months this is the first time we’ve actually had someone report it. =)  Here are the historical references I provided on the etherpad you originally posted this to yesterday for discussion:

===

I brought this up on the DefCore mailing list in June:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/defcore-committee/2015-June/000849.html

I believe we discussed it some at the midcycle as well after having it on the weekly agenda for a couple of weeks:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.5
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.6
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreFlag.MidCycle

And I believe it’s come up in-channel a couple of times too…one I could put my finger on quickly is here; there are probably others:

http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/irclogs/%23openstack-defcore/%23openstack-defcore.2015-06-24.log.html#t2015-06-24T23:16:06

This originated with an announcement about the change on the openstack-dev list in February:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/057613.html

I’m not sure there was ever a formal statement about it, but I believe generally the consensus from nova-core et al was that vendor modification of API responses (even if they were adding additional info rather than changing or removing info) was never really ok from an interoperability standpoint anyway (and violated the API Change Guidelines per openstack-dev discussion above), and the tempest change was deemed to help make that more clear.  There was some discussion [from John Garbutt and Ken’ichi Ohmichi whom I’ve CC'd here] around whether the change should apply to the 2.1 API only (instead of 2.0 and 2.1), but AFAIK the sentiment never really generated enough support for someone to bother submitting a patch to change it in the gate.

On the DefCore side, I recall some discussion that if there were any affected vendors (in 6.5 months this is actually the first time we’ve actually had someone report it) could simply use a version of Tempest that predates the change since we do not currently require a specific version of Tempest (though refstack-client does have a setting that uses a specific Tempest version specified by a SHA by default).  I recall warning at the time that this probably wouldn’t work in the long run since bugfixes to Tempest would eventually mandate that a newer version be used (see IRC link above), but again: sentiment seemed to be that since modifying API responses was never going to be interoperable anyway, that might simply be both a stopgap folks could use in the short term and incentive to stop modifying API responses in the longer term.

===

So with that historical context provided: a couple of questions for you.

1.)  Is the intent here to ask for a flag on the tests that are failing for you?  If so, the most appropriate thing to do may be to open a request via gerrit and we’ll discuss it there.

2.)  Also, are you attempting to pass 2015.05 or 2015.07?  If the former, have you tried simply rolling back to an earlier Tempest SHA that predates the additionalProperties change as suggested above?  I believe there’s a good chance you’d be able to pass 2015.05 by doing so.  The additionalProperties change was f0c30bc, so 968f1b3 would be the commit before that.

3.)  How are you injecting additional properties into the API responses?  E.g. have you changed nova-api code to do so?  I ask because the API code (other than extensions) is currently a designated section in both the 2015.05 and 2015.07 guidelines:

https://github.com/openstack/defcore/blob/master/2015.05.json#L540
https://github.com/openstack/defcore/blob/master/2015.07.json#L1468

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker