[OpenStack-DefCore] Scale 16 Summary - moving to new schema/capabilities for 2015.05!

Rob Hirschfeld rob at rackn.com
Wed May 13 17:17:34 UTC 2015

# DefCore Scale.16
2015, May 13 @ 9am PT

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreScale.16

Previous: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreScale.15
Bonus meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreScale.15A
Next: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCore

Following: SUMMIT!  next cycle to be named

# Summary
* DECIDED > Move forward with new schema for Board approval
* DECIDED > Present finer grained capabilities for Board approval
* DECIDED > Flagged tests in 2015.next will NOT be included in 2015.05
by default
* DECIDED > Next cycle will be called "Flag"
* We reviewed and set questions for the Summit Panel & Workshop Agenda
* We moved to the #openstack-defcore IRC channel and integrated it into
OpenStack process

# Roll Call
Egle Sigler (Co-chair, Rackspace)
Rob Hirschfeld (Co-chair, RackN)
Rocky Grober (Huawei)
Monty Taylor (HP)
Chris Lee (DreamHost)
Chris Hoge (OpenStack Foundation)
Carol Barrett (Intel)
Catherine Diep (IBM)
Jim Meyer (HP)
Will Auld (Intel)
Shamail Tahir (EMC)
Mark T. Voelker (VMware)

## Agenda 16

* IRC Channel: #openstack-defcore  >  being logged & connect to patch
reviews
* Bonus meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreScale.15A
check comments by Mark V. in: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/181280/
added Hacking file: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/181489/
Timeline: https://github.com/openstack/defcore/blob/master/process/2015A.rst
* Summit Prep Sessions
* Patches to Review
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/defcore,n,z
--schema change: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/180376/
--update flagging process: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/182105/
* Name of next cycle
* Community Workshop Agenda
* Turn json into yaml for reporting purposes using flamel (proposed by
Monty)
* Funding for DefCore t-shirts
* Need DefCore logo to put on t-shirts

## Next Cycle

Candidates
* Flag +1 +1+1+1+1+1+1  [WINNER]
* Feather
* Thorn

## Summit Discussion

Three Talks
* Chris & Catherine - Tempest Talk [Tuesday @ 11:15]

* Round Table - Egle & Rob  [Monday @ 2]
   * Speakers - Alan, Sean, Rob
   * Moderated Panel: Egle, Catherine, Rocky, Mark V, Chris H
   * Audience is users & vendors
   * Topics > 5 minute overview by Rob (what is DefCore), 5 minutes for
questions
   * Round Table Answers to...

   MAX 6 QUESTIONS! Allows for 1 minutes ANSWERS [30 mins = 5 people x 6
questions = 1 MIN]
   Think we should go w/ 5 questions - it'll be v hard for people to
keep their answers to 1 min... Agree. Have five, expect to use top
three. Invite one or two from audience?(+1) +1
   I can put them on the screen so people see them in advance - if the
panel chooses 4 then we'll have more time to cover all 6.

Why did you think it was an important effort?+1+1
What was the hardest thing about getting DefCore approved?
How will it change OpenStack in the next 6 months?  6 years?+1+1+1
Is DefCore vanilla OpenStack?  +1
What are the next hard problems in front of DefCore?+1+1
What happens if DefCore fails?

BONUS QUESTION > which project/capability should be next component?

## Community Workshop

Agenda:
     * Background / Intro
     * Schedule for DefCore meetings (combine all meetings)
     * Topics for Flag cycle -> networking, flags, non-tempest tests
     * Community Adoption
        * Refstack integration & use
        * Training and materials
     * Process for flagging & review of flags
     * Other non-tempest tests, tests for APIs
     * Identify gaps & challenges that we can to ask for technical help
     * How to strenghten the relationship between DefCore committee and
technical community
              * Cross project session at summits for Defcore (part of
the solution)

Previous List:
* What is DefCore
* Cycle Priorities