[OpenStack-DefCore] How to Deal With Overlapping Capabilities

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Wed Mar 25 20:54:22 UTC 2015

Folks,

Per discussion at today’s DefCore capabilities meeting, I’ve tentatively added an agenda item for the DefCore Scale.10 meeting next week (I’m fine with bumping it if we’ run short on time).  Egle suggested that we bring this up on the ML ahead of time so folks can be prepared to discuss it and/or start the discussion here on the ML first.

One of the questions I’m hearing a lot from operators and vendors about DefCore is: how will DefCore handle situations where there are overlapping capabilities between OpenStack components?  One example of this is networking: today we have no networking constructs in our capabilities lists even though some form of networking would logically be considered a fundamental part of an OpenStack cloud.  This is partly because there are two models for networking in OpenStack today: nova-net and Neutron (both of which were in the integrated release for years).  Both are widely enough deployed that it wouldn’t make sense for us to list one and not the other (thus restricting several long-time clouds from being able to use the trademark) but we also don’t have an “either/or” concept as of now and it wouldn’t be practical to expect clouds/products to supply both capabilities either.

With the new tagging model of governance (e.g. the “big tent”) we may increasingly see overlap in the future, so I think it’s worth taking a bit of time to think about what our strategy might look like going forward.  Please see notes here for additional color…feel free to comment or we can discuss the next time we have an opening during a DefCore meeting:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreScale.10

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker
OpenStack Architect