[OpenStack-DefCore] Identifying and defining missing/new tests for capabilities :Was Image APIs in Glance and Nova

Mark Voelker mvoelker at vmware.com
Fri Jun 19 14:01:40 UTC 2015

Thanks for bringing this up Ken’ichi!  Folks who aren’t familiar with Nova’s move to microversioning may want to peruse the spec that was implemented in Kilo [1] and note that some other projects like Neutron are headed in this direction as well [2].

The basic idea of this patch is to not allow any additional properties in API responses (even if all the nova-supported properties are included) because Nova has moved to a microversioned API as of Kilo [1], correct?  And if a cloud wants to provide additional attributes in API responses, it should now bump the monotonic version counter to make clear to clients that it does so?  From a DefCore perspective, I imagine the concern here is how this change affects clouds built on older versions of OpenStack since Tempest is branchless.  A DefCore Guideline typically covers three OpenStack releases: the next Guideline will likely cover Juno, Kilo, and Liberty.  Clouds built on Juno predate the move to Nova microversioning.  In theory there could be Juno-based clouds that provide all of the “OpenStack” properties in API responses, but add some additional properties as well.  Such clouds might run into trouble when running RefStack because Tempest will now enforce that no additional properties may be added to API responses even on clouds that predate the move to microversioning.

Have I understood the concern correctly?

[1] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/kilo/implemented/api-microversions.html
[2] Such as Neutron: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/neutron-specs/specs/liberty/microversioning.html

At Your Service,

Mark T. Voelker