[OpenStack-DefCore] Identifying and defining missing/new tests for capabilities :Was Image APIs in Glance and Nova

Chris Hoge chris at openstack.org
Thu Jun 18 15:17:37 UTC 2015

> On Jun 18, 2015, at 7:51 AM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/18/2015 10:48 AM, Rob Hirschfeld wrote:
>> On 06/18/2015 07:43 AM, Monty Taylor wrote:
>>> ... bit of a step from being reflective towards influencing what folks
>>> _Should_ be doing. Agree - excellent topic fo mid-cycle.
>>
>> From an interop perspective, it's part of our charter.  Some API
>> differences are reasonable to absorb but we need to find a way to get
>> ahead of the current sprawl and drive it back towards convergence.  The
>> goal of DefCore was to create carrots and sticks.
>>

> I'm honestly not sure I agree that some API differences are reasonable
> to absorb - but I'm perfectly willing to accept it as a first step
> position. :)

It’s unavoidable. If DefCore helps define a standard way to discover that
interoperability, then its a good start, even if it means for a year OpenStack
SDKs based on interoperability efforts needs a few nasty 'if-else’ blocks.

It will be necessary as preferred APIs transition. I think we made a mistake
in admitting Glance v2 though. It seems like it will be ready for Liberty,
but doesn’t seem ready now.

Keystone v2/v3 might also seem like another pain point, but there’s only
one non-admin api call.

Networking? I don’t see a good solution for networking. Maybe defining
the expected ways to accomplish a task like getting a public IP address?

This part of why I want to work through the tests and map capabilities to
APIs. Also, a more deliberate approach to defining capabilities. For example,

“tempest.api.compute.servers.test_create_server.ServersTestJSON.test_verify_created_server_vcpus”

exists as a test capability, but I don’t see anything like

“tempest.api.compute.servers.test_create_server.ServersTestJSON.test_create_server”.

(maybe "tempest.api.compute.servers.test_servers.ServersTestJSON.test_create_server_with_admin_password”?)

The former implies the latter, but it’s worrying that we just don’t have
a direct test for the latter (unless I missed it somewhere). The test for a
capability should give a developer a blueprint for answering the question
“how do I do ‘x’?"

-Chris