[OpenStack-DefCore] Image APIs in Glance and Nova

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jun 17 21:23:29 UTC 2015

On 06/17/2015 01:15 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> oops, continued...
>
> On 17 June 2015 at 17:56, John Garbutt <john at johngarbutt.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> So this was raised in the cross project meeting, and thank you for that.
>>
>> I keep mentioning use cases, so here we go...
>> * create from cloud base image for ubuntu 12.04
>> * above but with boot from volume
>> * create a snapshot
>> * download snapshot
>> * upload image into another openstack cloud
>> * boot server from uploaded image
>>
>> Now, at a higher level:
>> * user does above using custom script for Cloud A and Cloud B
>> * user keeps to just the APIs that are defcore tested
>> * user gets access to Cloud C and Cloud D
>> * user wants to point script at new clouds, and everything should just work
>>
>> So I think thats where we want to be. Now lets dig in...
>>
>> To list images, the user could:
>> * use nova to list images (stable, but project wants to delete it)
>> * use glance v1 (should never be exposed to end users, was designed as
>> internal only API)
>> * use glance v2 (only just fully released (kilo?), not deployed everywhere, yet)
>> * glance is building a new v3 API (user could help implement that, I suppose)
>
> Now I think the best way forward here is to pick the Nova list images,
> for the moment.
>
> Problem 2:
> Upload an image
>
> I would argue there is no truly interoperable way to do this right
> now. Glance currently has three ways to upload an image, and no way to
> know which the deployer has picked.
>
> For details see (20 mins in):
> https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/summit-videos/presentation/liberty-product-management-and-openstack-technology

Omg. A video to one of my talks is linked.

Slides are here:

http://inaugust.com/talks/product-management.html#/

The image-related stuff starts here:

http://inaugust.com/talks/product-management.html#/17

BTW - if you want more fun, you can enjoy the part in a follow up talk
about networking issues:

http://inaugust.com/talks/now-what.html#/31

> Now there should be a way, long term, but that needs fixing before
> defcore can test that. I would chose fixing the glance v2 upload, over
> the glance v2 tasks or glance v1)

Yes please. It's the sanest of the three.