[OpenStack-DefCore] Image APIs in Glance and Nova

Daryl Walleck daryl.walleck at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Jun 17 18:52:44 UTC 2015

>> To list images, the user could:
>> * use nova to list images (stable, but project wants to delete it)
>> * use glance v1 (should never be exposed to end users, was designed as
>> internal only API)
>> * use glance v2 (only just fully released (kilo?), not deployed everywhere, yet)
>> * glance is building a new v3 API (user could help implement that, I suppose)

>Now I think the best way forward here is to pick the Nova list images,
>for the moment.

>Problem 2:
>Upload an image

>I would argue there is no truly interoperable way to do this right
>now. Glance currently has three ways to upload an image, and no way to
>know which the deployer has picked.

I think this where the "let things that aren't implemented fail" comes into play. If we can't know which paths/workflows a deployer has used, try the approaches from an approved/accepted scenarios list and report which ones work and which ones don't. Even if only one of those scenarios is the approved or blessed path, I think it would also be helpful for identifying and gathering data around which scenarios deployers support/use the most.

Daryl