[OpenStack-DefCore] Trying to explain Guidelines... here's what I'm thinking [feedback welcome]

Rob Hirschfeld rob at zehicle.com
Thu Feb 26 18:46:39 UTC 2015

DefCore... does this explain Guidelines?

Last week, the OpenStack DefCore committee rolled up our collective
sleeves and got to work in a serious way.  We had a in-person meeting
with great turn out with 5 board members, Foundation executives/staff
and good community engagement.

TL;DR > We think DefCore should dated milestone guidelines instead
tightly coupled to release events (see graphic
https://robhirschfeld.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/defcore-timeline1.png).

DefCore has a single goal expressed from two sides: 1) defining the
"what is OpenStack" brand for Vendors and 2) driving interoperability
between OpenStack installations.  From that perspective, it is not about
releases, but about testable stable capabilities.  Over time, these
changes should be incremental and, most importantly, trail behind new
features that are added.

For those reasons, it was becoming confusing for DefCore to focus on an
"Icehouse" definition when most of the capabilities listed are "Havana"
ones.  We also created significant time pressure to get the "Kilo
DefCore" out quickly after the release even though there were no "Kilo"
specific additions covered.

In the face-to-face, we settled on a more incremental approach. DefCore
would regularly post a set of guidelines for approval by the Board.
These Guidelines would include the required, deprecated (leaving) and
advisory (coming) capabilities required for Vendors to use the mark (see
footnote*).  They would also include the relevant designated sections.
These Guidelines would use the open draft and discussion process that we
are in the process of outlining for approval in Vancouver.

Since DefCore Guidelines are simple time based lists of capabilities,
the vendors and community can simply reference an approved Guideline
using the date of approval (for example DefCore 2015.03) and know
exactly what was included.  While each Guideline stands alone, it is
easy to compare them for incremental changes.

We've been getting positive feedback about this change; however, we are
still discussing it appreciate your input and questions.  It is very
important for us to make DefCore simple and easy.  For that, your
confused looks and WTF? comments are very helpful.

* footnote: the Foundation manages that process the Vendors. DefCore
Guidelines are just one part of the brand process.

--

Rob

I am in CENTRAL (-6) time
http://robhirschfeld.com