[OpenStack-DefCore] Updated Bylaws

Troy Toman troy at tomanator.com
Mon Sep 22 13:13:08 UTC 2014

> [...]
>> responsible for the trademark policy, they need input on removing these
>> functions/designated code.
>>
>> 2.      Integrated Release: The parts of the OpenStack Project (of which
>> the Core OpenStack Project is a subset) which are distributed and need
>> to be under the Apache License version 2.0. The definition of what goes
>> into the Integrated Release is completely in the discretion of the
>> Technical Committee except that it needs to be available under the
>> Apache Software License version 2.0.
>>
>> 3.      OpenStack Project:  All of the code managed or used by the
>> OpenStack community (of which the Integrated Release and the Core
>> OpenStack Project are subsets) whether distributed or not. The code that
>> is not distributed does not need to be under the Apache Software License
>> version 2.0 which gives the Technical Committee more flexibility.
>>
>> I don’t understand how defining Integrated Release impinges on
>> implementation details (see above). However, if you can explain the
>> concern, I will work to resolve it.
>
> I'll expand on my comment. I think that ideally, we would not have to
> change bylaws every time we adapt our processes or trademark license
> programs. Ideally, the language in the bylaws would let us some
> maneuvering room so that we don't constantly have to consider costly
> changes to them (especially around the protected sections). Therefore I
> think the language in the bylaws should avoid unnecessary details as
> much as possible.
>
> The "Core OpenStack Project" is a detail. It's a subset of projects that
> the future "powered by OpenStack" trademark policy will use. Actually,
> the policy doesn't even mention "core" anymore, but uses "designated
> sections" and "required capabilities", which are much more descriptive.
> What if tomorrow we want to have two trademark policies (add "OpenStack
> compatible") which affect different subsets of projects, and the bylaws
> only define one ? Saying that "the board may pick any subset of the
> OpenStack Project as they deem necessary to use as part of trademark
> license programs definition" gives the board much more room to evolve
> trademark policies in the future without requiring a new bylaws change.
>
> The name "integrated release" is also a detail. If the projects in the
> release stop being "integrated" or the release becomes staggered, it
> should not prevent the board from picking a subset of it for trademark
> policies. That said, I think we can live with this one being in the
> bylaws, since there will probably always be a concept that we can map to
> it in the future, so it should not really prevent anything from
> happening (or require a bylaws change one year down the road).
>
> That said, I'm not a lawyer... you certainly know better than I do about
> required language. My concern is about agility. IMHO our bylaws set too
> much in stone, so we can't undertake any change in policy without
> changing them, and it takes a couple of years to do so.

+1 for agility. I think we are already too constrained in our ability to adapt our processes in this changing environment. If we are going to go through the pain of bylaws changes we need room to maneuver as we find the right combination of process and roles. If we are learning anything in the last couple of years it is that agility is required and demanded by the foundation members. In the current structure, it is taking much too long to evolve. Any changes to the bylaws need to move considerably towards making it easier to adapt to changing conditions while clarifying the “separation of responsibilities” as needed among the entities driving us forward (Board, TC, etc.)