[OpenStack-DefCore] Updated Bylaws

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Sep 19 14:28:46 UTC 2014

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> This feels like deja-vu, but I just spent some time reviewing the wrong
> version of these changes before finding the right one.
> [...]

I fully agree with your analysis. Two items are of particular concern:

* the general search/replace of "the OpenStack Project" by "the
OpenStack Integrated Release" reduces the reach of the TC to integrated
projects only, which would place critical release-building functions
(like release management or infrastructure) out of the TC authority
under the bylaws. That's pretty wrong; both from a technical standpoint
and a governance standpoint.

* the "ask for permission before removing" is, as you clearly mention,
impractical. That creates an area where disagreement between the board
and the TC would end up being paid by our users (we could be forced to
keep around things we technically deprecated and nobody maintains),
which I think is unacceptable.

My other concern is that those changes seem to fail to address the
issues in the current bylaws. Our bylaws are currently hopelessly out of
date because they are not flexible enough and they are hard to change.
Rather than taking this opportunity to clean the mess up, we seem to
perpetuate old concepts like "the Core OpenStack Project" or the
"Definition Date", while we should have learned by now that in bylaws,
less usually means more.

The situation is actually really, really simple: the TC is responsible
for a set of code repositories collectively known as "the OpenStack
project", which aim to fulfill the OpenStack Mission. Even speaking of
the "Integrated Release" is treading on an implementation detail, which
may prevent further evolution ! The "Core OpenStack Project" is an
historical artifact, and trademark policy now uses much more
quantifiable concepts (like capabilities and designated sections), so I
don't see the value of continuing to mention it in the bylaws themselves.

Personally I would just get rid of any mention of "Core OpenStack
Project" and "Integrated release" in the bylaws, and only keep "the
OpenStack Project". That would give us flexibility we need to evolve in
the future, both on the TC side and on the Trademark policy side.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)