[OpenStack-DefCore] Results from Community Meetings > discussion/+1 about reconsidering Havana Swift as a core capability

Phil Estes estesp at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Sep 17 14:44:44 UTC 2014

Russell Bryant wrote:

> On 09/12/2014 10:56 AM, John Dickinson wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 2014, at 7:34 AM, Doug Hellmann<doug at doughellmann.com>
>> wrote:

>>> That’s a fair point. I understood the intent of the DefCore
>>> process to be to start small and slowly add to the set of
>>> capabilities for subsequent releases, and adding object storage
>>> capabilities and Swift designated sections seems to fit within
>>> that process.
>> Unfortunately, at this point I have no idea what the objections are
>> currently (other than "the PTL and Piston, DreamHost, and IBM don't
>> agree"--and frankly I'm not sure what decision that's referring
>> to), and there is nothing that has been presented as steps to for
>> future inclusion or specific concerns to address.
>>
>> So I too am concerned by inertia of removing a capability "intended
>> to be quickly re-added" when the current objections are
>> undocumented and there is no guidance for the future.
>
> I agree that the objections need to be called out and not danced
> around.  From my perspective, it seems pretty clear that the issue is:
>
> 1) Some organizations want to provide object storage capabilities in
> their product and not use Swift (or even any portion of Swift) to do so.
>
> 2) These organizations want to ensure that their choice in #1 does not
> prevent their ability to use the OpenStack mark.
>
> 3) The proposed resolution to this issue by DefCore is to exclude
> Swift completely from the requirements around the use of the OpenStack
> mark.
I know the discussion has moved on quite a bit since this note on
Friday, but to help provide the missing information at least from an IBM
perspective I'll add what we shared with Rob and those at the DefCore
F2F a month ago:

- IBM is unique in that we *don't* have interest in a proprietary
implementation of Swift--we are using Swift upstream code. (therefore #1
doesn't apply to us, and I believe Dreamhost was also in this category)

- IBM does, however, have a market strategy that offers differentiated
products--one being a compute offering, based on upstream OpenStack
code, and one being a separate object store product, using Swift
upstream code and IBM storage capabilities (Elastic Storage, aka GPFS,
for those who might recognize an older name)

- We (IBM) are planning on validating both offerings against the
appropriate core tests via Refstack and complying with designated
section definitions, but from a product marketing perspective everything
will not be in one integrated OpenStack offering from IBM (although
there are other solutions and offerings which will include both).

This was our specific feedback to the DefCore process and is somewhat
tangential to what seems to be the main objection around proprietary
object stores not using Swift at all.  However, given as the
conversation has continued it appears that all objections have been
lumped into an assumption that all "objecting" vendors have a desire to
not use OpenStack Swift, I thought it might be useful to offer the IBM
perspective which has nothing to do with using a proprietary replacement
for Swift.  I can not speak for Dreamhost in any official sense, but my
understanding was that they had a similar "market offering"
differentiation, not a non-Swift code use objection.

Thanks,
Phil Estes