[OpenStack-DefCore] Results from Community Meetings > discussion/+1 about reconsidering Havana Swift as a core capability

Mark Collier mark at openstack.org
Fri Sep 12 13:55:28 UTC 2014

I think your reasoning is sound, provided we don't make it harder to follow
through on "phase 2" of your proposal in icehouse by conceding the removal
of a requirement that is intended to be quickly re-added.

Inertia being a thing that can cause such unintended consequences.

Openstack is software, which we as a community create (though heroic
efforts which I can't claim credit for myself! But admire, encourage, and
support all that much more as a beneficiary of those efforts).

OpenStack is an OpenSource Cloud Computing platform that meets the needs of
public and private clouds regardless of size, by being simple to implement
and massively scalable.

Our mission to produce it.

 I always find out mission statement a handy reminder when trying to make
such weighty decisions.
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Main_Page

(Note I took the poetic license to change "will meet" to "meets" now that
we are 4 years in and the largest banks in the world run it.  Whether we've
yet achieved 'simple to implement' or 'massively scalable' is an exercise
left to the reader.)