[OpenStack-DefCore] Results from Community Meetings > discussion/+1 about reconsidering Havana Swift as a core capability

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Thu Sep 11 20:35:26 UTC 2014

DefCore,

We just completed our two community meetings.  Community attendance was light but the dialogs where good.

I am still working to get input from the PTLs against the designated sections; however, I do not think that we are blocked at this point with the following consideration: Swift capabilities should not be considered core for Havana.

I have gotten significant and consistent feedback that the two Swift capabilities should not be included in Havana Core.  This has come from multiple sources, a variety of interests, and different reasons were given.

The final straw came today during community review of Swift when the point was made (by Doug Hellman) that if there are no designated sections that having required capabilities does not make sense.

While people arrive at this conclusion in different ways, I am confident in saying that community consensus is to reconsider Swift core capabilities.

I'd like your opinion (and/or +1) on presenting this to the board on Thursday _before_ discussing the details of designated sections and process flow.  I believe this change will greatly simplify the discussion and allow us to proceed with the DefCore process and results.

Thanks,

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Dell, Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone