[OpenStack-DefCore] Updated Bylaws

Radcliffe, Mark Mark.Radcliffe at dlapiper.com
Wed Sep 10 07:34:16 UTC 2014

I  think that we have a misunderstanding about the list. Issue. As I noted in my email, we are trying to get input from the DefCore Committee (after we got input from the Legal Affairs Committee) so we can make the best possible draft available to the community for their comments. I sent it to the CoChairs of DefCore Committee so they could determine how best to get those comments.  Just a reminder that we need to have the draft ready for the vote of the Individual Members which would normally mean that it would be voted on approval at the September 22 meeting. If not, we will need to hold a special Board meeting.  We need to get community input prior to Board review and then we need to get Board approval (which may require some additional changes and more community input). We will have a significant challenge with the timeline unless we get DefCore Committee comments this week.

Given this timeline, I recommend against tying the bylaws review  to the DefCore Process Appendix. The Appendix is not part of the Bylaws, but the Bylaws need to be amended in order to approve the Appendix. Since the revised Bylaws permit the Board to adopt any process, the Appendix does not need to be drafted prior to approval of the revised bylaws.  Ultimately, the Appendix  is a document which the DefCore needs to get approved by the Board.  I am concerned that the DefCore Committee continues to have discussions about basic issues and this discussion precludes drafting an Appendix now.

I recommend that we find a way to get coordinated and final comments from the DefCore Committee on the bylaws.

On the issue of multiple issues dealt with in the bylaws we have drafted the bylaws for review by the Board and it may contain some changes which are not relevant to DefCore Committee, but it would inefficient to create separate drafts.