[OpenStack-DefCore] Updated Bylaws

Randy Bias randyb at cloudscaling.com
Mon Sep 8 18:17:40 UTC 2014

Great set of comments, Josh.  This might be a bit of an aside….

Regarding the comment below, have we had any opportunity to discuss this with the TC in more depth?  I guess what I’m thinking of here is that when we did the last joint meeting it was clear that the TC owned all “tactical matters related to the software development life cycle (SDLC)” and the board owned all “strategic business matters related to copyright, trademarks, marketing, and overall direction.”  At that time we all agreed that there was a gap around what I will call “strategic product management”.  There were a variety of ideas of how to address that, but for me, that function is “technical” so I’m unclear if it falls under the TC ultimately, when we resolve the issue or under the Foundation/Board.

I’m mostly just curious if anyone has tried to dig into this offline or if it’s still a niggling issue?

To be clear, I’m not expecting any bylaw changes regarding this since it’s still a nascent discussion.  I just wanted to air it since I think saying “the TC owns everything technical” actually doesn’t quite cover the reality of the situation since there are technical aspects that the TC currently doesn’t own.  In fact, it’s fair to say that no one owns them, which is the crux of the problem.

Best,

--Randy

Founder & CEO, Cloudscaling
Board of Directors, OpenStack Foundation
+1 (415) 787-2253 [SMS or voice]
TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias
LINKEDIN: linkedin.com/in/randybias