[OpenStack-DefCore] progress - met w/ Foundation

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Wed Oct 1 18:28:55 UTC 2014

Mark,

Thanks for the doc. From my understanding walking it through with some cloud use cases I know of:

1.      A cloud provider who was delivering Nova based compute services and ceph based storage (both block and object to the API) would be able to claim “OpenStack powered compute”. At some time in the future, they may be able to qualify for an “OpenStack compatible storage” mark when/if this is defined.

2.      A cloud provider who was delivering an API conversion layer and uses no OpenStack designated sections (such as Softlayer Jumpgate) would not be allowed to use any of the trade or word marks on the current proposal (but the current proposal does not exclude an alternative mark in the future)

The term “storage” is somewhat confusing for the case 1. If I am offering cinder compatible block storage, I still would not be able to use the powered-by storage mark although the missing code is actually ‘object based’ storage rather than the entire storage functional areas.

Clearly, the initial goal is to map to existing marks rather than create new ones and thus my need to clarify these scenarios as to what is in/out under the proposal.

Tim