[OpenStack-DefCore] swift capabilities

Troy Toman troy at tomanator.com
Tue May 27 16:07:54 UTC 2014

John,

Just catching up on things and wanted to provide a couple of thoughts.

First and foremost, thanks for this. It is very comprehensive and helpful in understanding the Swift capabilities. It is so helpful having the PTL involved in how we are deciding what goes into core.  As mentioned earlier, the next big step is how we test/validate the capability.

The second point would be to ask that you consider what level of capability granularity make sense as we are scoring and evaluating options. I expect many of the capabilities outlined below don’t make sense in isolation. I would guess that there are some basic account functions that are really required for base operation. There are probably others that truly are add-on or separate functions.

Some refinement of this is helpful on two fronts. First, it reduces the complexity of the analysis. One reason we moved from “voting” on individual tempest tests to focusing on capabilities was to reduce the number of items we are considering down to a more manageable number. Obviously, we don’t want to over do that - but it is helpful where we are reduce. Secondly, we don’t want to end up in a situation where core is unusable because some key capability is left out because in isolation it isn’t elevated to core status because of the criteria system when in reality it can’t be thought in isolation.

For instance, it seem like any base implementation of swift probably needs the *’d items below for accounts to essential operate. (I’m on a limb here because of superficial knowledge of swift - so I could also be completely wrong.) It might make more sense to group all/some of these under a basic “account” capability vs try and score them separately. That was a similar idea to group basic server calls into a generic “compute-server” capability.

Anyway, give it some thought.

Troy