[OpenStack-DefCore] Please review - lexicon, Public APIs only & capabilities definition text

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Fri May 2 13:46:55 UTC 2014

Majini,

Isn't non-commercial product two anti-points?   Are you asking about the project code or a product based on the code.  Those are distinct things even if you require the code to create the product.

We're trying to be specific about the PROJECT CODE which is managed by the OpenStack technical governance process and can has specific guidelines to inclusion in OpenStack (incubation/integration).  In Rocky's case, the Open DayLight project could have OpenStack project integrations.  Both are open projects not products.  Using a compatible mark would NOT be ok because that's a controlled use.

I agree this is confusing - we are trying to clarify it.

DefCore comes in when someone creates a product from the project(s) and wants to USE the brand.  That could be as a "free product" like a packaged distro or a "licensed product" like a public cloud.   Anytime someone takes the code and acts as an intermediary it becomes a product and is subject to the brand use.   < Is that clearer?

And, yes.  Certification is tied to a release.  That's covered in other places besides this topic.

Rob

Non commercial product -- Say there is some new open source switch or management framework .. if it wants to earn the OpenStack seal it should meet some agreed upon interface and pass some functionality tests. That would reduce the guess work on the part of the cloud provider on what they can mix and match. Certification would also be tied to a version number.

Regards
Malini

For instance:  Open DayLight, OpenStack(tm) compatible

--rocky