[OpenStack-DefCore] [openstack-tc] Meeting to develop a straw man set of designated sections

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Fri Mar 21 13:41:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org>wrote:

> Michael Still wrote:
> > So, the defcore committee just had a meeting and I have to say it was
> > a lot more productive than the previous one. I'm sure the recording
> > will appear on YouTube at some point, but I am not sure when that will
> > be.
> >
> > There is a desire to have a voice chat to interactively produce an
> > etherpad that contains straw man designated sections for the various
> > integrated projects. I personally think this is a good idea, because I
> > think it will be more productive than yet another email thread.
> >
> > So... Who is available for either of these time slots next week?
> >
> >  * Wednesday 26 March at 8pm UTC
> >  * Friday 28 March at 8pm UTC
>
> Shouldn't this call also be directed to the integrated projects PTLs,
> rather than just the TC members ? IMHO the PTLs are the final authority
> for producing this information, with the TC providing guidance and
> encouraging some homogeneity.
>
> Here is a list of people that need to be looped in (Icehouse release):
> David Lyle (Horizon)
> Dolph Mathews (Keystone)
> John Dickinson (Swift)
> Julien Danjou (Ceilometer)
> Mark Washenberger (Glance)
> Michael Basnight (Trove)
> Steve Baker (Heat)
>
> The other integrated projects PTLs (Nova, Cinder, Oslo, Neutron) also
> seat on the TC.

Thanks for the list, Thierry. Adding them to this thread. (There's no
all-PTL mailing list I should use, right?)

The request: we're looking for designated sections of your program's code
to help define criteria for "core definition" where core definition is part
of our governance docs at
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/CoreDefinition.

Who wants it: The board members working on core definition

What does it get them: Forward movement on defining the OpenStack mark use
policies
How will they know if they have it: The etherpad at
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/openstack-designated-sections will have
your project's name in it with simple definitions of what parts of your
code base should be run. (Do not overthink this: simple outlines will
suffice.)

When do they need it by: 3/31 (I know this is a busy time for everyone with
the release. Please raise your hand if you need help, we will find it for
you.)

Who might be exempt: We do not need all projects to designate sections,
only the ones that are likely to have capabilities flagged by required
tests. If you think yours lands in this exempt category, just ask.

What happens if this doesn't get done: We continue to struggle with the
definition of an OpenStack cloud. Probably someone else will define for you
(which is also likely just fine).

Let me know if this request outline is useful and feel free to ask any
questions as you go.

Anne