[OpenStack-DefCore] [OpenStack Foundation] Understanding DefCore

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jun 30 09:25:18 UTC 2014

Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Given that the board is the deciding body for that question, but they/we
> are looking for the widest possible consultation on it, how about:
>
>   * The Board comes up with a very rough strawman set of "required
>     code" based on its very rough understanding of the technical
>     architecture and the current commercial ecosystem. It could be the
>     Defcore committee delegated to draft this strawman and the
>     "required code" could still be called "designated sections"
>
>   * The wider community (including the TC and PTLs) is asked to give its
>     input in the form of questions - i.e. "what are we missing?"
>
>   * The Board openly answers those questions (perhaps DefCore triages
>     and answers the straightforward ones) and those answers effectively
>     determine the final "required code" policy.

I agree that this process would be a lot less backward.

The TC can't be the source for designating "replaceable code": as the
representation of contributors to the project, it's difficult for us to
encourage any code replacement. However we recognize that it's within
the Board power to define trademark programs, and we can certainly
provide technical comments against a strawman proposal (as should the
PTLs and the wider community do).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)