[OpenStack-DefCore] [OpenStack Foundation] Understanding DefCore

Mark Collier mark at openstack.org
Wed Jun 25 18:57:44 UTC 2014

Great summary Jonathan.

TL;DR if you read to the end I mention Ceph!

Here are the key points which relate to the debate at hand.

1)  The TM policy itself simply requires companies to get a license for commercial use, but does not dictate what the contents of those licenses should be. The requirements inside of those license agreements can be updated as needed by the Foundation.

2)  The current product requirements in those agreements are essentially “include entirety of Nova & Swift from a recent release and pass some FITs tests approved by the TC when available."  This is outdated and insufficient given how fast the project has expanded, but it is the status quo. Any improvement on this status quo is progress in my book, fwiw.

3)  The real question is:  what should those technical requirements be to call your product “OpenStack” (i.e. to get a license)?  In particular, how should the code inclusion requirements evolve?

If we can come to a consensus on an answer to that question, we (the foundation staff) can work with our trademark counsel to update the agreements. That won’t be a lengthy process, as the product requirements are all in one section of the agreements.

The trick is coming to a consensus on what those requirements should be.  Amending the Bylaws to clear up the admittedly confusing language is a nice thing to pursue for the sake of clarity, but I think it’s a red herring for the more pressing matter.

Defcore was formed to come up with that answer, in an open community involved way, in conjunction with the TC and PTLs and any other stakeholders.  I don’t want to try to summarize the current state of Defcore in this email, but in general the direction is to express the requirements in terms of capabilities as well as tests, rather than projects per se, with code requirements that are likely to be less than 100% within each particular project.

The question that is raised when we consider going below 100% of a particular project, is do you eventually consider 0%, as long as the APIs are implemented?  Let’s say, hypothetically, your product or cloud service exposes the Swift API but uses an alternative back end, say Ceph for example.  Is that still “OpenStack”?  Let’s face it, that’s the question on a lot of people’s minds.  The Defcore committee has approached these questions holistically by starting with documenting criteria for making such weighty decisions.  The time draws near to make the big calls, so if you care about this stuff, get involved!

Mark