[OpenStack-DefCore] DefCore Committee Minutes

Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com
Fri Feb 21 15:26:28 UTC 2014

DefCore Committee (Board CC'd),

Here are the minutes from our meeting today: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreElephant.4

Recording: http://youtu.be/A4v8Ym0b6gE

* We have taken a pass at scoring capabilities and it seems to be workable!  Will schedule a working session.
* We are going to have a TCUP demo for the board at the next meeting
* We are going to have a face to face meeting Mar 3rd at Piston HQ from 3 to 5
* We are making progress w/ the TC on "designated sections" and need to redefine the "programs vs projects" request

FULL DETAILS:

MEETING AGENDA (2/20 @ 3 PDT, 60 minutes) Elephant.4

Previous Meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreElephant.3
Next Meeting: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreElephant.5

Role Call:
*         Mark Radcliffe
*         Rob Hirschfeld
*         Van Lindberg
*         Alan Clark
*         Paul Holland
*         Troy Toman
*         Sean Roberts
*         Joshua McKenty (arrived late, not "the late")

Agenda:

1.  Review RefStack use-cases.  Agree to prioritization. (Rob & Joshua)
2.  Review capabilities determined from test review (Troy)
3.  Discuss results of initial criteria scoring (Rob & Joshua)
1.  link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av62KoL8f9kAdFo4V1ZLUFM0OHlrRnFpQUkxSHJ5QWc&usp=drive_web#gid=6
4.  Demo to the Board on Mar 4th & expansion of TCUP testing (Rob)
5.  TC discussion items
1.  Designated Sections Update
2.  Program vs Project Update (Rob & TC)
6.  Face to Face Meeting Mar 3rd
7.  Plan for TC update about activities including:
1.  Bylaws changes around Core update including idea to have TC act as proxy for general membership to lessen requirement when making core definition changes
2.  Program vs Project discussion
3.  Pressure on Tempest and how to address gaps
4.  How to clearly define require code components as per the principles (detemermine if action is needed, if yes then make plans)

## Review capabilities determined from test review (Troy) 3:10

*         link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av62KoL8f9kAdEJTWnFWejJySnFXZmxWdnowTDhUSVE&usp=drive_web#gid=2
*
*         Thinking about how the capabilities are broken down along the API boundries.  There are places where we have cross over concerns like compute & images.  This will take some thinking because some places the lines are fuzzy.
*
*         Kudos to Troy for this work!  It was really helpful (and represented a lot of hard work)
*
*         Question: how was Troy able to make so many decisions so quickly?
*         Answer: there are a lot of cues in the naming (yeah to good conventions!)

*         Request: please include links to source where possible

## Discuss results of initial criteria scoring (Rob & Joshua)

*         link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av62KoL8f9kAdFo4V1ZLUFM0OHlrRnFpQUkxSHJ5QWc&usp=drive_web#gid=6
*         link: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreTestCriteria

     Josh and Rob have taken a draft of the capabilities list and begun to build a sheet with the weighting/scoring criteria (both linked above)
     Currently using a flat weighting (8 for each category). Any blank cell has not been reviewed. (0.5) signals further review recommended.
     Interesting observations. Some items clearly float to the top. Others sit on the bubble. Seems to pass a basic sanity check.
     First one they scored took almost an hour. But, others got much faster after they got comfortable with the scoring, etc.
     Very helpful to mark items for future discussion to avoid rat-holing

     Q: Do we see a cutoff for inclusion? How do we see the scores playing out?
     A: Currently pick 70 as a cutoff score. But, that is picked out of thin air. Eventually, we hope a natural cutoff emerges from the data.

    *** This criteria scoresheet is only designed to identify CANDIDATES for core. The ultimate decision of what is part of core is up to the Board.
         Current plan would be for the Defcore committee to submit a slate to the Board for a vote. Hopefully exceptions could be managed with few (or zero) amendments
         Rob notes that if we have a large number of rejections when there are high scores that we may need to reevaluate the process and criteria.

    ACTION ITEM: A 2 hour working session before 3/3 meeting to knock out more of these tests.

## Demo to the Board on Mar 4th & expansion of TCUP testing (Rob) (3:35)

*         Run TCUP on a VM w/ Rackspace as the target.
*         Results upload to RefStack from TCUP.
*         Show that the results are uploaded (BUT NOTHING ELSE yet)
*         Repeat w/ Dreamhost as the target
*         Repeat w/ DevStack as the target
*         Repeat w/ Piston Customers as a target

## Face to Face Meeting Monday Mar 3rd @ Piston 3 to 5  (3:40)
 49 Geary St., Suite 530, San Francisco, CA, 94108
*
*         Agenda: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/DefCoreElephant.5
*         DefCore meeting is more focused on board-type issues.
*         Technical Meeting: RefStack will be having an all day coding & demo prep meeting

## Plan for TC update about activities including (3:55)

*         * Progress on Designated Sections
*         * Program vs Project needs to go back to purpose & lexicon > topic for next meeting

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell +1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone