[OpenStack-DefCore] PLEASE DISCUSS (or +1) Designated Sections Principles [No Meeting on Friday]

Van Lindberg van.lindberg at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Aug 7 13:41:50 UTC 2014

+1

From: "Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com<mailto:Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com>" <Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com<mailto:Rob_Hirschfeld at Dell.com>>
Date: Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 2:03 AM
To: "Defcore-committee at lists.openstack.org<mailto:Defcore-committee at lists.openstack.org>" <Defcore-committee at lists.openstack.org<mailto:Defcore-committee at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: [OpenStack-DefCore] PLEASE DISCUSS (or +1) Designated Sections Principles [No Meeting on Friday]

All,

We did not get critical mass on the doodle calendars to justify a meeting.  I am planning a meeting next Thursday (10 am?) to draft the strawman.  I’ll be in SF and looking for a location (South Bay is ok).

Josh and I have the following proposal for “designated sections principles” based on the TC’s original document:

Should be DESIGNATED:

Should NOT be DESIGNATED:

§  code provides the project external REST API, or
§  code is shared and provides common functionality for all options, or
§  code implements logic that is critical for cross-platform operation

§  code interfaces to vendor-specific functions, or
§  project design explicitly intended this section to be replaceable, or
§  code extends the project external REST API in a new or different way, or
§  code is being deprecated

There are three important additions to these 7 points:

1)      unless code is designated, it is assumed to be undesignated.  As usual, we have a preference for smaller core.

2)      If the community cannot reach a fast consensus about designation then code is considered undesignated.  Excepting obvious trolling, this prevents endless wrangling.   If there’s a true difference of opinion then we default to undesignated.

3)      Loose descriptions of designated sections are acceptable.  The goal is guidance on where we want upstream contributions not a code inspection police state.

Rob
Rob Hirschfeld
Sr. Distinguished Cloud Solution Architect
Dell | Cloud Edge, Data Center Solutions
cell+1 512 909-7219 blog robhirschfeld.com, twitter @zehicle
Please note, I am based in the CENTRAL (-6) time zone